Meeting Minutes for May 01, 2017
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
May 1, 2017
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:30p.m. with the following members present: Joe Prebeg, Jr., Alan Stanaway, Susan Tuomela, Steve Skogman, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Sally Yuccas, Librarian Director/Special Events Director; SGT John Backman, Sherriff’s Department.
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Add the following items to the agenda:
IV. A. 1. Letter to Plaza 53 Owners
VI. C. Humane Society
- Approve the minutes of the April 17, 2017, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period April 16-30, 2017, totaling $225,224.46 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period April 16-3, 2017, totaling $189,515.22 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- Rick Pierce discussed Quad Cities Arena Project, which would encompass three rinks, as well as floor system for volleyball/basketball main arena, dry land training facility, farmed school section six-stem/multi-purpose classrooms, and Performing Arts stage. Talked with community members to find a location for this new building, visited with Eveleth and Virginia, suggestions were made to be located on Highway 53, across from the Hockey Hall of Fame. Envisioned ownership of the building to be the Quad Cities hopefully, looking for support from local Municipalities, not able to look for funding sources from multiple avenues without support from local Municipalities.
- Discussion ensued for funding availability, support and collaboration from Schools and local Municipalities.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Stanaway to recognize Quad City concept and encourage future planning of the Quad Cities Arena. The motion carried.
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Happy belated Birthday to Paul Fischer turned 97 on April 26th
- Happy belated Birthday to Shirley Anderson-Charles turned 90 on April 28th
- Happy early Birthday to Gladys Johnson turning 98 on May 5th
- Congratulations to the Mountain Iron-Buhl Archery team for placing 2nd in the Midwest Regional Shootout at the High school level, in Dodgeville, WI
- Great job to Julie Knapper, finished 5th overall in the Girls Division
- Great job to Brandon Russell, finished 1st in the Junior-High Boys Division
- Great job to Brody Soyring, finished 5th overall in the Junior-High Boys Division
- Congratulations and best wishes to the graduating class of Mountain Iron-Buhl with a special congratulations to the 14 Honor Students
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela to send letter to Plaza 53 Owners strongly encouraging them to upgrade the Plaza 53 West Retail Center parking lot due to safety concerns. The motion carried 3:2
The City Administrator reported on the following:
- Garden North residents notified following previous meeting in regards to purchasing lots located behind property, if resident was not notified please contact City Hall
- Seeking Summer Coaches for Parks & Recreation Department
- Local Board of Appeals and Equalization reconvene meeting scheduled for Monday, May 8, 2017 at 5:00pm at the Mountain Iron Community Center
Director of Public Works:
- Hydrant-flushing started May 1st
- Residents might see water pressure differences and discolored water
- City workers out repairing lawn damaged during winter months, call City Hall if need lawn repair
- Gravel road maintenance starting in rural Mountain Iron
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- Prepping for Summer Reading program starting June 1, 2017
- St. Louis County awarded Lifesaver awards to:
- Bo Foe and Johnny Marsala
- Deputy Belleville
- Deputy Johnson
- No formal report
- Benchmark recently hired graduate Engineer and Jeremey Schwarz, Benchmark Engineer, took PE Exam
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to accept the recommendation of the Utility Advisory Board and approve the large trash pick-up for City of Mountain Iron residents with garbage service fee of $10.00, tentatively scheduled for first couple weeks of June. Complete form and payment must be turned in and paid for by June 5th by 4pm. The motion carried.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Skogman to approve Resolution #12-17; Setting a public hearing for the proposed assessment of Garden Drive. The hearing is set for the first meeting in June at 5:30pm at the Mountain Iron Community Center (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Stanaway to approve Resolution #13-17; Grant application, authorizing the submittal of a grant application to the IRRRB to assist with the Mountain Iron’s portion of the 2017 Highway 169 reconstruction project. Mountain Iron is partnering with MNDoT and St. Louis County on the intersection project and therefore are responsible for the Enterprise Drive North portion of the intersection (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried.
Councilor Prebeg wanted to thank everyone that helped out at the benefit for Marcia Gellerstedt, especially the kitchen crew, as well as the Community for the continued support.
At 7:33p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Skogman that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried.
Municipal Services Secretary